purging logs in exchange 2k3

Discuss Your issues related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2K3

purging logs in exchange 2k3

Unread postby avadhani » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi,

I have observed that the exchange log files E*.log files are growing very large 57 gig!! How do i flush them.
regards,
Bala
avadhani

Full Name: Balasubramanya Avadh
Profession: DOEACC Trainer
Mobile No: 0

Re: purging logs in exchange 2k3

Unread postby rajeevmahura » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:54 pm

I faced this issues a few times and it came out to be the backup software not performing complete backups properly! You may want to check with the vendors. But in response to your question, in this scenario I will consider a single storage group with 1 mailbox store and 1 public store:

1. Manually dismount the mailbox store and the public store so that all the logs are played into the databases.
2. Open a command prompt and change your directory to c:\program files\exchsrvr\bin folder (again, assume all default installation paths)
3. type ESEUTIL /MH "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\PRIV1.EDB" and enter to check the consistency of the database.
4. Confirm that the database is in a CLEAN SHUTDOWN state and logs required is 0-0!
5. type ESEUTIL /MH "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EXCHSRVR\MDBDATA\PUB1.EDB" and enter to check the consistency of the database
6. Confirm that the database is in a CLEAN SHUTDOWN state and logs required is 0-0!
7. Once you have confirmed this, use windows explorer to browse to c:\program files\exchsrvr\mdbdata (the path to the log files). Do not delete them yet! create a sub-folder, cut and paste all E**.Log files into that path, including the E00.CHK file.
8. go back into ESM and mount the databases. Once they have mounted successfully, you can go ahead and delete the sub-folder with the log files.

good luck!
--Regards--
Rajeev Mahura
Servers & Storage Professional
http://about.me/rajeevmahura
rajeevmahura

Full Name: Rajeev Mahura
Date Of Birth: 15 Jan 1984
Address: New Delhi
Profession: DOEACC Trainer
DOEACC Center: DOEACC DELHI
Mobile No: 0